November is Adoption Awareness month, here’s a recipe with a story from my heart to yours.
7 years ago I married Jeff Reid, and instantly became Mom to his (then) 6 yr old son Elijah. And so began my journey into a new kind of step-motherhood—the journey of understanding how GOD adopts us. Early on in our marriage, after a particularly difficult bedtime routine, I turned to Romans for my daily Bible reading.
And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body. Romans 8:23
My heart was wrecked by the kindness of the Lord. By extending unconditional love to this little boy I barely knew, I was living out a human reflection of what God does to us.
Together we are understanding what the Spirit of Adoption is. It’s messy and beautiful.
That night I began a lifelong journey of understanding God’s heart for Adoption. We are adopted into Him, He eagerly desires to adopt us into His family, and our adoption is actually a key part in our redemption process.
Elijah is now 13 and in growing into who he is created to be. Together we are understanding what the Spirit of Adoption is. It’s messy and beautiful.
When Elijah was 6 he loved chips and Guacamole, except I called it “Rock’n’Rolie”. I still think of that every time I make it!
By November 30, 2012Published:
- Yield: A bowl of each
A recipe for the Reid Family Salsa and Guacamole. I always make them together! Enjoy! Salsa: I like to use our MagicMix food processor, that way this is ready in minutes. If you dont have a food processor, then grab a friend and start dicing.
- 6 Tomatoes Red Ripe Salad type SALSA
- 1 Medium Red Onion SALSA
- 1 Clove Garlic SALSA
- 1 Handful Fresh Cilantro SALSA
- 1 Whole Fruit Juice of Lime SALSA
- 3/4 Teaspoons Sea Salt SALSA
- 1 Teaspoon Raw Sugar SALSA
- 1-3 Jalapeño Peppers Diced (1-3 depending on how much heat you want!) SALSA
- 2 Whole Fruit Ripe Avocados GUAC
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Salsa Salsa from what you just made GUAC
- 1 Clove Garlic crushed GUAC
- 1 Whole Fruit Juice of Lime GUAC
- 1 Small Handful Clove Garlic Chopped GUAC
- 1 Teaspoon Raw Sugar GUAC
- 3/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt GUAC
- 1 Whole jalapeño Diced (optional) GUAC
- Salsa Processor method: Throw everything (whole, no need to chop) into the mixer. Make sure the onion and garlic are on the bottom. that way they will get chopped a bit finer. Just pulse a few times until it’s the salsa consistency you like! done.
- Salsa Chopping Method: turn on the music, grab a friend, and chop everything to equal size. Crush the garlic in. Add the lime juice, salt and sugar, chilli, and enjoy!
- Guacamole Processor Method: scoop the Avo flesh into the processor, along with everything else. Pulse until smooth. EAT IT!
- Guacamole By-Hand Method: Scoop the Avo flesh into a bowl, add everything else and smoosh it up! EAT IT!