Oh the holidays! They are such a wonderful reason to bring dear friends together. One ʻcommunityʼ appetizer I love is Artichokes.
It’s so filled with flavor, mainly garlic, that it’s deadly!
Itʼs fun to patiently peel off one leaf at a time, taking turns and sharing. Artichokes take a while to eat, and so conversation begins to flow as we sit and share.
Artichokes with ʻDeadly Dipʼ
By December 25, 2012Published:
Here in Cape Town Artichokes are a spring delicacy, so we only get them for about 3 short weeks a year. However, in the States I start to see them in stores more around the holidays... perfect timing for Christmas party sharing!
- 4 Artichoke Stem trimmed, and leaves removed
- 1 Lemon Cut in half
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Anchovies Jarred in Oil
- 3 Clove Garlic Crushed
- Place your prepped Artichokes in a large pot, half filled with water.
- Add the lemon halves in there, put the lid on, and simmer on medium for about 15 mins. You know they are done when a leaf pulls of easily.
- Meanwhile, prepare that deadly dip. My father invented the deadly dip. itʼs so filled with flavor, mainly garlic, that itʼs deadly! Place butter, oil, garlic and anchovies in a little saucepan.
- Cook on a low head for about 15 mins. You donʼt want this to get too hot, or the garlic to burn. Youʼre just adding enough heat to encourage those crazy flavors to blend.
- Youʼre done! Thatʼs all the cooking! Serve these Artichokes on a pretty plate with the ʻdeadly dipʼ in a little ramekin next to them. And say Merry Christmas to yourself as you do!
- Course: Appetizer