Jesus said to His disciples, as He was sending them out to preach the Good News, in Luke 10:2, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.” (ESV) The word “send,” in the Greek, is “Ekballo” which means to “Drive or cast out . . . with violence” (Strong’s Concordance). Jesus uses this same word when he casts out demons (Matthew 8:16; 9:33) and talks of throwing sinners into utter darkness (Matthew 8:12). He is a King who is willing to violently disrupt each of our lives so that those dwelling in darkness might see His light.
Jesus is a King with an agenda: That all might hear and all might know. There are fields without workers, billions without access to the Good News of Jesus Christ and access to the eternal life that He brings. In Luke 14:33, Jesus declares, “any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.” (ESV). Jesus’ stance is clear. It is an all or nothing relationship.
Jesus, in His unending, unfailing love, is a fierce King bent on reaching every lost people group. He is a mad-man, bent on the conquest of Light and Life. He is obsessed, and no cost is too large. He paid with His life, surely he will not spare our comforts of our flesh at the expense of billions of eternal soul being lost to the clutched of hopelessness and darkness.
How do we respond?
- Pray: Daily Pray Luke 10:2. Pray that Jesus will violent thrust forth laborers into the harvest fields.
- Download the “Joshua Project People Group of the Day” to pray for a different unengaged people group each day.
- Send: Use your finances and resources to fuel the Gospel (How are they to preach unless they are sent – Romans 8).
- Find a missionary working among unreached people groups and give to them monthly.
- Find a missionary to help through advocating for them by mobilizing prayer, encouragement, care packages, and recruiting other financial donors to fund the work of the Gospel.
- Go: Commit to a specific people group or region.
- Be a witness in your surrounding community, school, or workplace.
- Take a short term trip (2 weeks – 2 years).
- Become a long term missionary (2 year – life).